Here is our attempt to encourage people to get people interested in keeping an eye for interesting species on their local patches whilst also improving identification skills. The general premise is to identify as many animals, plants and fungi to species level between January 1st and December 31st 2013 within their local patches.
And here is the current table of figures for the year so far. I’ll do my upmost to keep it up to date.
We have created a handful of badges for certain achievements to award people throughout the year. Hopefully these will be created soon and set to participants.
1. Identify as many animals, plants and fungi to species level with the year. No bacteria or viruses.
2. Size of patch should be under 100 acres. This can be found out using this tool. The patch doesn’t have to be entirely connected but all parts should be within a mile of each other (like this). Different participants may share the same patch. It was also be preferably in an under-recorded area (ie. not an well visited nature reserve)
3. As species can be counted as identified by being seen, heard or having a photo identified within the patch limit. Strong circumstantial evidence (such as footprint, droppings or dead specimens) can also be counted. Dubious entries may be questioned but most identifications will be left to the discretion of the patch owner.
4. Feral species, escapees, introductions and hybrids will be judged on a species to species basis, but largely up to the discretion of the patch owner.
5. Updated tables of species seen are best on google spreadsheets with a public setting. If this isn’t feasible for any reason the alternative is to send an updated document listing everything to robertjaques26 at Gmail.com once a month or whenever you see fit.
6. Entry to league is started once a participants map as been sent to robertjaques26 @ Gmail.com. I am hoping to implement an award system based on certain achievements. An overall winner will hopefully be announced on January 1st 2014
3. Jess Stokes
4. Stacey Melia
5. Africa Gomez
Scroll along for full information